I was so ecstatic when author Tessa Gratton accepted our invitation to be on the tour. I have been in awe of her ever since I read BLOOD MAGIC last year. It was one of my very first trades and I had the chance to devour it early.
Which was a relief. Because, ever since I first set eyes on the cover for BLOOD MAGIC and read its description I was obsessed. I wanted that book. I just knew I would love it. It sounded gorgeous. It sounded dark. It sounded amazing. It was my kind of book.
And oh, I was not wrong. The writing in that book was exquisite and beautiful and I was immediately taken to a place that was so very different from anywhere I’d gone in a book before… or since. And Silla and Nick are two characters that are so very memorable. Yes, even with the many books I’ve read between then and now they are unforgettable.
And after what seems a lifetime, finally this week, with the release of THE BLOOD KEEPER, there’s a new book to read, to fall in love with, and to remember for ever and ever.
So, why is Tessa Gratton a rockstar to me?
Do you mean aside from being such an amazing author? Yes, Blood Magic got my off-the-menu six star rating, was a book I thought was one-of-a-kind and mesmerizing, and even forced me to use a “big word” in my review.
Aside from writing the kinds of stories that cling to me? It’s dark. It’s haunting. It’s heartbreaking. It’s poetic. It’s gruesome. It’s beautiful. It’s everything I love.
Aside from being brilliant and quirky and an incredible performer? Have you seen her latest YouTube video Tessa Does Shakespeare: Hamlet’s Rant for the Internet? Or where she performs Chapter Five from BLOOD MAGIC?
Go ahead and watch. I have time. I’ll be here when you get back… maybe.
Well… aside from all of that, she’s traveled the world, she translated BEOWULF, she loves magic, and she has – and has worn – a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bracelet. How awesome is that?
Yeah, she’s a total rockstar to me.
If you’re not yet convinced, just check her out online at the places she haunts, take a peek at the descriptions of her books, maybe add one or two of them to your collection, and then take a look below at the awesome guest post where she shares her Top Ten Wizard/Magical Movies.
You can even enter the giveaway if you’d like. And let me get back to reading THE BLOOD KEEPER.
About the Author
About Blood Magic
About The Blood Keeper
When I was a kid I really wanted to find a wizard to take me as his apprentice so that I could spend fifteen years studying 17 hours a day and come out at the end as an uber-powerful, unstoppable magic machine. (I loved magic AND school.) Here are my top ten all-time favorite wizards and their magical systems from movies and television:
1) “Labyrinth” – The Goblin King set my basic lizard-brain desire for a white feather cloak when I become a super wizard. I will avoid the goblin minions, though, as they’re not too bright. Singing would be optional.
2) “Spirited Away” – I love magic that is based on names (a la A Wizard of Earthseaby Ursula K. LeGuin, one of the best systems of magic in books). And this one is a perfect fairy tale, to boot. It’s creepy and full of bravery. Plus, when I am a super wizard I will definitely have dragons.
3) “Howl’s Moving Castle” – Howl the Wizard might be the most entertaining of my favorite wizards! He not only has great powers, but he cares very, very deeply about his hair. When his dye is the wrong color, he melts into green slime, which is similar to what happens to me.
4) “Practical Magic” – Here is a fabulous introduction into folk magic, and the kind of every-day magic that families pass down. It’s also about the magic in love and in grief, so although there isn’t an uber-wizard here, the family of witches really knows what magic means.
5) “LadyHawke” – True loves kept apart by a single magical curse? Hawk by day, wolf by night? Ferris Bueller? Epic cathedral during a solar eclipse happily ever after ending? Super 1980s synthesizer soundtrack? What’s not to love?
6) “Legend of the Seeker” – This short lived TV show based on Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth books is so silly and fun, with great magic and a wizard named Zeddicus Zu’l Zorander, which is exactly the sort of name an uber-wizard needs.
7) “Willow” – Not only is Madmartigan hilarious (and sexy), but this movie is all about a man (Willow) learning to become a wizard. He’s doing it while on a crazy quest to save the kingdom, and this magic is hard. It requires focus, determination, and heart.
8) “Sleeping Beauty” One word: Maleficent. So she’s selfish and evil – she also turns into a dragon. A DRAGON. Did I mention how much I want one? But Maleficent doesn’t just have a dragon, she IS a dragon. And it takes other wizards, a magical sword, and a brave prince to defeat her.
9) “Avatar: The Last Airbender” – Elemental magic, for the win. I would like to be a Fire Bender, personally, and occasionally can be found practicing forms for channeling lightning in my office.
10) “FullMetal Alchemist” – This is my favorite anime (I love both versions, even) because of the relationship between the two brothers, and because of the amazingly complex and cool magical system. Alchemy in this world is almost exactly how I imagined wanting magic to be when I was 8 years old. Difficult, full of math and symbolism, and you could gain power just by studying and practicing! LOVE.
If, like me, you’re studying wizardry, any of these movies would be a great place to begin. Good luck!
I haven’t had the chance to see all of those films, but I have seen quite a few of them. And agree wholly with her number one choice. “Labyrinth” = best magical film ever!
Oh and “LadyHawke” breaks my heart for a moment every time I watch it. And yes, I happen to be a sucker for ’80s synthesizer soundtracks and scores. Especially The Alan Parsons Project score in this movie.
But I digress….
It was such an honor to be able to host an author that I think is one of the biggest rockstars ever! And while I’m sad today is the last official day of the Authors Are Rockstars Tour, I couldn’t be happier having author Tessa Gratton on the blog today to close things out.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again….
The chance to choose which giveaway you’d like to be entered into is in the rafflecopter form and is the only mandatory entry in the giveaway. But if you’d like to spread the word that would be awesome!
To enter, fill out the Rafflecopter form:Read More