Facebook Twitter Tumblr Goodreads Amazon RSS

Top 10 Books I’ve Read in 2011

Today is the first day of Top 10 of 2011.

Top 10: A Week of Looking Back….
                                ………and Looking Forward.

If you haven’t yet signed up, there’s still time to participate. Just click on the banner above to read the details in the original post and sign up with the Linky.

I was so excited to be invited by Jessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic and Lisa from A Life Bound By Books to co-host this event along with my very best blogger friends Jaime & Patricia from Two Chicks on Books.

Of course I didn’t really think about what this would entail. Especially as I’m not someone who’s really very good at putting together top ten lists. This post has caused me sleepless nights – yes, it’s true – and took over four hours to actually pull together.

I don’t really think of books in order of most favorite to least favorite, they’re either favorites or they’re not. So, this was definitely a challenging way to end the year.

***

Today’s topic, “Top 10 Books I’ve Read in 2011” was the hardest for me. It was so tough for me to pick, that I decided to cheat the system.

Forget about honorable mentions, I’ve created two lists – Top 10 Debut Books I’ve Read in 2011 and Top 10 Non-Debut Books I’ve Read in 2011.

Not that it made it much easier, but there was just no way I could narrow it to only ten. I’ve listed my Top 10 Debut Books below and my Top 10 Non-Debut Books will be revealed in my post on Fiktshun’s Ramblings tomorrow for the Top 10 Tuesdays meme I participate in on that blog.

While there are a few books that I absolutely loved, that are top-of-my-list favorites like Angelfire, Unearthly and Delirium, apparently I read all of those in 2010 and can’t list them in either post.

So, here is my attempt at narrowing my list of favorite debut books down to just ten….

***

Top 10 Debut Books I’ve Read in 2011

A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

If anyone didn’t guess I’d pick A Touch Mortal as my number one debut book I’ve read in 2011 then they really don’t know me too well. I think I’ve talked about this book endlessly. I’ve read it umpteen times. Yes, that is a word and umpteen is just how many times I’ve read it.

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

This book slaughtered me with its awesomeness. I was not able to instantly recover after reading it. So I had to read it again. And it killed me. Again. I listed it as my number two book, because it’s still clinging to me. Making my heart ache.

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

You may have heard me ramble on and on about my love for this book and its jaw-dropping ending. If you haven’t, then we just met this past few months. Because I could talk of little else but this book from the moment it landed in my mailbox until months after I’d read it. Seriously kick-a**.

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

I fell so in love with this book earlier in the year when I read it. It has turned me into a slightly obsessed Jennifer Armentrout fan. And she has many of those. Well, I am one of them. Half-Blood is amazing and her heroine Alex is seriously awesome. Of course Aiden is no slouch either. Yum.

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

Yes, this is a 2012 release, but I’ve read it in 2011 so I have to list it here, even if I haven’t yet reviewed it. This is another book that clings to me. I cannot even think about some of the passages in this book without it feeling like my heart is being squeezed. And so, there was no way Everneath would be left off my list of top 10’s this year.

Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

I live in torment awaiting the sequel to Witch Eyes. I want to head back to Belle Dame, okay not in reality because that place is seriously dangerous, but as it exists for me as a reader. I want to get enveloped once more in the beautiful writing, find out who has demon eyes and see just what sorts of hell the author will put Braden and Trey through in book two.

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

How could a book full of snark, sarcasm and beauty not make my top ten list? It couldn’t. This book is gorgeous from its cover to its story to its characters. Lenzi is all sorts of amazing. I don’t think I smiled or laughed out loud – yes, it’s not just an expression – when reading a book quite as often as I did while reading Shattered Souls. Talk about a great character and story to connect to.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

I am still asking myself what’s wrong with me. This was on my original DAC list for the year and I only read it this past week. This book was, is and always will be full of win. I love the world – not that I’d want to live there – and I love Tris. Yes, everyone goes on and on about Four, but Tris is so much more awesome than he is. It’s really nice to meet a super strong heroine that gets to take center stage instead of the boy every so often.

Die for Me by Amy Plum

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

Who knew I could love beings, aside from vampires, that weren’t exactly alive? I didn’t. Revenants are so much sexier than zombies. And Jules and Vincent are two of my very favorite revenants. I haven’t been able to get this story – but even more so its characters – out of my mind since I read it those many, many months ago. And I’ve been dying for the sequel ever since.

10.

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

(Amazon, Barnes & Noble)

Oooh, I loved this book. I loved the gods and goddesses and loved the promise of what is still to come in Dreamless. The ending – as is the case with most of my favorites – has left me in torment. I can’t wait to read more. I read this book three times this year and loved it each and every time.

***

If I could pick just two more books they would have to be Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton and Dead Rules by Randy Russell. Oh I hate all things ten. I really do.

If you’d like to see what my Top 10 Non-Debut Books I’ve Read in 2011 are, head over to Fiktshun’s Ramblings tomorrow.

***

This event runs through Friday, and each day I will be posting a different list of top ten favorites. Tomorrow’s topic will be Top 10 Book Covers of 2011, which will be a much easier list to come up with, though sorting them is an entirely different matter…. (And, no. I did not create tomorrow’s list yet.)

If you’d like to see what the rest of the topics will be, check out the original post or the update post for more details.

***

NOTE: this is the SAME Linky on each of the Co-hosts Blogs, so please only enter your Name, Blog Name and the URL for YOUR Top 10 post of the day on one blog. Thanks!

24 Responses to “Top 10 Books I’ve Read in 2011”

1. Patricia says:

I’ve only read Divergent and Starcrossed, but Divergent was SO AWESOME. Have it on my list as well! ^.^

2. Lisa Harwood says:

I’ve only read Half-Blood and Starcrossed and I loved them both!!
    I realllllllly wanna read Shatter Me, Everneath and Divergent but I’ve never seen Shatter Me in any UK bookshops and I’m planning on pre-ordering the PB copy of Everneath which comes out on Feb 2nd, so I can class it as an early birthday present, but I’m sure my mailman hates me coz of the amount of books I get in the mail haha

3. Jay @ We Fancy Books says:

Ohh I really love Die for Me! Vincent just made me want to marry a Parisian lol and Shatter Me like omg! definitely a must read! and Yes Divergent has got to be in everybody’s list if they’ve read them! The other books on your list is on my to-read list, which I still have to find time to read but I think if I’ve read them I might have a headache picking out of the books i’ve read this year!

Here’ s my Top 10 Books of 2011

4. I’ve only read Divergent, which made my list, and Die For Me. I have Shatter Me, Everneath, Half-Blood, Starcrossed and Shattered Souls all on my TBR list! I’m very excited about all of them.
    My Top 10 of 2011

5. Caitlin says:

Awesome list! SO glad you finally read Divergent, I loved it SO much! Half-Blood too was a really good book. I got shattered souls for Christmas so am very excited to read that!

6. Carina says:

Awesome list!
    I’ve added Die For Me and Divergent as honorable mentions to my list (yes, I’ve cheated LOL). I read and enjoyed Starcrossed, Shatter Me and Wildefire, too. And I definitely need to read Shattered Souls, Everneath and Half-Blood soon!

Carina

7. Great List! A couple of these were not on my TBR list, but they are now. 🙂

8. Aleksandra says:

Great list 😀 Except for the one book that I’ve read (I won’t mention the name, because I hated it & yeah, I know, I’m one of the few), all the rest are on my tbr list or wishlist, just haven’t gotten around to them, so I love your list 😀 I still haven’t done my covers post, too, and I think it will be hard to narrow it on only 10 covers 🙁 but I decided with every list to post only 10 😉

9. Lesley says:

I loved Everneath (but forgot to put it on my list!) and Divergent (which I did remember) it’s great seeing all these other lists.

10. My daughter started Shatter Me & said it is awesome. I can’t wait to read. Thanks for hosting.

11. Divergent is awesome!!!! is great that you finally read it.
    I also love Half-Blood is amazing!
    My Top Ten

12. I am not sure what happened, but I lost almost my ENTIRE blog post with this one—ACK–I am trying to get it back up, bear with me.

13. Deea says:

I couldn’t list only 10 books either. There are too many awesome books out there!!!

I loved all the books I read from your list too (Eeeek! Shatter me! Half Blood! Everneath! Starcrossed! OMG they were fabulous!<3) Oh, and I see you finally read Divergent. Awesomeness, right?<3

I need to read Die for me already. *sigh*

Great list!;)

14. I think its working again–If for some reason all 10 don’t show up, PLEASE let me know. I lost 80% of the blog the first time I posted.

15. Andie Z says:

Great list! Shatter Me is on mine too and I can’t wait to read Divergent. Thanks for hosting such a fun event!

Andie
    My Top Ten

16. have not read any but will soon[hopefully
    my top ten

17. Ana Lucía says:

haha I knew A Touch Mortal was part of your list and Wildefire too.

Die for Me and Starcrossed took me by surprise, I didn’t know they were favorites.
    Same with Divergent you just read it last week now I’m more curious about this book.

And of course I knew others that were going to be on the list: Shattered Souls, Everneath, Witch Eyes and Shatter Me!

Sadly I have only read Shatter Me from your list (and thanks to you) but I’m pretty sure I’ll love the rest if I ever get the chance to read them 🙂

18. A Touch Mortal
    OMG!!!
    O_O
    Rachel…I could have never done this list…there are waaay too many books I loved…plus…most of them aren’t debut…okay…well I DO LOVE ATM AND WILDFIRE AND WITCH EYES AND SHATTER ME
    O_O omg omg!! I’m freaking out of just thinking about what would I put if I were to make the list!!
    yey for all the ones I’ve read and OMG!!! Die For Me made your list??? need to put it higher up on my tbr pile!!
    lol so…um…I don’t know Four but you’re right I’ve heard more buzz about him than Tris >.< glad you liked a book I was still wary about because EVERY SINGLE PERSON loved it but I didn't want to read much reviews…less it was yours or PLTF ones…O_O now with your post I can only imagine the awesomeness Oh God…before I hyperventilate to death…I'll stop the comment right here.
    Oh, and can't wait to see what you chose for 10 covers lol
    talk about order difficulties…

19. Daisy says:

So I only read Die For Me and Starcrossed from your list, but I loved both! And I pretty much the rest of it on my TBR list 🙂 I am so looking forward to reading Divergent and Shatter Me! And a Touch Mortal, I think I should order that one soon (The Book Depository has become one of my closest friends this year 😉 ). Great list and I hope 2012 will be just as good a reading year for you!

20. Celine says:

I got the ARC of Everneath too, it was really good. I love your list!

21. I love Divergent. And I agree – Tris is one of my favorite characters I got to meet this year (though I have a soft spot for Four).

22. Melissa says:

I haven’t read any of these! They sound really good and I’ll have to put them in my to-read pile! Here’s my list:

23. Great list Rachel!! I’ve only read a few of these, but have most that I really need to check out soon. I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about A Touch Mortal (got a signed copy for Christmas!) Half-Blood & Shatter Me (again, I have both) Die For Me, Everneath & Shattered Souls (have, have & yeah… Have) I think I need to get my reading on lol Shame on me, right?

Great list!

24. Candace says:

Okay, I’m definitely moving Die For Me and Witch Eyes up my TBR stack. I own both and keep seeing them on favorites lists! Fantastic list!

Copyright © 2010-2017 Fiktshun. Theme Designed by Parajunkee.

Pin It on Pinterest